Friday 20 April 2012

Sopapilla Cheesecake Recipe: London Baked

I had been missing home for, what, EVER? Yes. So I decided to make Sopapilla Cheesecake. I mean, I had all the ingredients already bought a week earlier, so why not now? Did it have anything to do with the fact it was one of our lat nights at the Pickwick? Maybe. Last time before the coach tour, anyways.

Also you may be wondering why I chose to make THIS of all things to remind me of home. Maybe its acause I made it in Texas a lot, and maybe its because its slightly Mexican-flavored (thus, the Sopapilla part), which also is a prevalent flavor in Texas. Im not being racist, Im saying I love Tex-Mex food lol. So please don't be offended!

Here's the scoop:

The usual ingredients call for pie dough (but I like to use Pillsburry Dough Croissant roll sheets because they flake easily) but they had this sort-of-pie dough that was actually very wise to use for this recipe.

As Pioneer Woman would say, "here's the cast of characters":

1/2 cup Butter
1 1/2 cups Sugar
1/2 cup Cinnamon
2 Sheets of Pie Dough
2 packs of creme cheese
1 Tsp. Vanilla
an Oven
loads of love


So you want to mix the 2 packs of creme cheese with 1 cup of sugar; mix it in real well, and thats where the "loads of love" first comes in. I didn't have a beater/mixer so I just whisked away with a fork until they seemed to blend in a bit. Don't forget the vanilla! I should have added more sugar in retrospect... I didn't have a measuring cup. But then again, its hard to eat something that's TOO sweet. Even I have my limits (says the girl who delights in eating sugar cubes).


You take the pie dough sheet and put it flat on a pan. If it was the Pillsburry stuff, you'd pinch together the dotted lines so it doesn't ooze out when baking.

Pour the creme-cheesecake on the dough and smoothen til you can bear it no longer. Egads--er, Golly!
*I found out "Egads" is kind of like Medeival slang for the literal version of OMG. So don't say it ;-)




Put the other sheet on top and pinch down, sealing the sides with a fork. So its like a large tart almost. Then you melt the butter and drizzle it all along the edges and the center, spreading the wealth. More love to come:

THIS is love. Sugar and Cinnamon. You must very well have guts for this part, as it takes a lot of restraint to not pour it all over it, but you take the 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup cinnamon, mix it, and put it all over the dough. Its heavenly.

Once you bake it for like 10 minutes or so (until golden brown. Depending on the overn, you may need longer or shorter, but we used a British oven that worked on Celcius. So 212 C is like 350 F.).

Golden, glorious, fluffy love. Mmmmm~ And the crust is just amazing. Its a Puff Pastry pie dough, so that really WAS a good call.



Needless to say, everyone wanted to be my best friend. Laughing at this, I give everyone in the vicinity a nice slice and save one for Patrick and Jane, who are utterly delighted! Faith and I take the rest to Girl's Group and decide to run back after eating like 4 of them. Each. Heh-- there are some things in life that are too good to resist, after all!

Pip Pip, Cheerio!
Yours,
Diana

No comments:

Post a Comment